This post may contain affiliate links.
Self-Confidence is this magical thing that can change your life. It can make you feel better about yourself, influence the way others see you, give you a sense of peace and happiness, and good luck and good fortune. Well, maybe not the last couple. You have to do all the work, but trust me, confidence gets you halfway there! People tend to put confidence on a high pedestal, but the truth is, you have everything you need to build confidence inside of your right now!
Confident people are this beautiful combination of INDEPENDENT and know when to ask for help. They know their strengths, utilize them and view weaknesses as things they just aren’t as strong in. I don’t care who you are, how confident you are, or whether you are shy or outgoing, introverted or extroverted – we could ALL use a boost to our self-confidence. But remember, self-confidence MUST be paired with humility, or you just become cocky, and no one needs that.
Doctor Ariana’s (LOL) orders are to do one of the items from this list EVERY SINGLE DAY until you see improvement in your self-confidence. And then every day after to keep it up! Okay, I might not be an actual doctor. But these activities are easy, FREE and ultimately hold the possibility of being life-changing, so what do you have to lose? I recommend closing your eyes, scrolling and choose one activity to build confidence at random to get started!
Oh, and in case you lose this page, I have a handy printable you can download, print, and attach to your mirror to look at every day! All you have to do is sign up for my mailing list and not only do you receive this printable, but you also receive 365 days of affirmations as well!
17 Ways to Build Confidence in 5 Minutes a Day!
- Make a list of your strengths. Set a timer for 5 minutes and keep writing until it goes off, or choose a number goal (10, 20, 50!) and don’t stop until you hit it!
- Reevaluate who you spend your time with. You absorb the energy and adopt the personality traits of the THREE people you spend the most time with, so choose wisely!
- SMILE. Seriously! Smiling relieves stress and tension. Fake it until you BECOME it! Smile, and suddenly you’ll find reasons to smile!
- If it sounds fun, do it! No really. Humans have a tendency to overthink. What about the cost? The time investment? What if I suck? Would people think I’m weird? Who cares! Is there something that always sounded fun but you’ve always hesitated? Do it anyway. Crossing something off your bucket list is a powerful way to build confidence!
- A little vanity is okay. If you don’t feel like you look like a million bucks, you aren’t going to feel like a million bucks. A new haircut, a new outfit, a great pair of shoes, etc. can kick up your confidence a ton. It’s not about buying new things, it’s about looking how you want to feel. Dress the part. Wear your fancy ball gown to work, if you feel like a million bucks that’s the only important part! (Well, maybe not if you work in a hospital or elsewhere that could be a safety hazard, but you get the idea)!
- Accept a compliment. I know it sounds scary and cocky, but it’s not! Someone compliments your eyes, dress, singing, etc. Simply make eye contact, smile, and say thank you. That’s it! You know why? Because you deserve it, so accept it!
- Look people in the eye. It’s easy to watch mouths, look into the distance, staring at your phone when someone is talking. But confident people give others their full attention and look directly into their eyes while they are talking. It’s powerful, and even better, it makes THEM feel important. Imagine that, you can increase confidence in someone else as you increase it yourself! If eye contact freaks you out, try staring at their forehead until you feel more comfortable!
- Try a daily affirmation. This is always more effective if you write them yourself because those are the affirmations you need to hear. But you can also download my guide and get 365 to tell yourself DAILY!
- Leave your comfort zone. Short of doing something dangerous, try something you wouldn’t normally try. If you always get the same food at the restaurant, try a new item on the menu! Little things can go a long way!
- Be kind…to yourself. I know its easy to blame, feel guilt and put yourself down. You should have known better right? Wrong. You didn’t, so you learned. End of story. So be kind. You don’t have to compliment yourself overdoing something silly, but you don’t have to make yourself feel worse either. Accept the lesson however it came, acknowledge it and move on!
- Advocate change. Change is ultimately a good thing, it makes things go smoother, faster, more effectively. Without change, we wouldn’t have the internet or even the light bulb. Advocate for it, don’t be scared. BE the change you want to see in the world.
- Add a positive spin. Bad weather unexpectedly? At least we aren’t in a drought! Flat tire? Maybe that was the universe trying to save you from a bad accident! Go out of your way to find the silver lining in situations. It can be tough, but the more you do it, the easier it is!
- Say yes! Of course, if something is dangerous, illegal, or hurtful DO NOT SAY YES. But to random things, like trying something new, doing something when you’re tired, hanging out with an acquaintance, etc. DO IT! It may change your life! New hobbies, new friends, new careers have been found just by saying YES when you didn’t feel like it!
- Understand your limitations. You don’t have to be a superwoman. You don’t have to be 10 feet tall. You are perfect the way you are. Take a moment to understand what your limitations are and how EASY they are to overcome. It’s not time to dwell on what you can’t do, its time to focus on admitting you have a weakness can make you stronger and more effective because you can spend your time on things you CAN do, and not waste time on things you can’t!
- Celebrate a win! Think small. A win doesn’t have to be something big and award publishing. It can be a small goal achieved. I didn’t eat a fifth slice of pizza -whoo hoo! I overcame my fear of the dentist and went – YES! Every win deserves respect because those small wins lead us to the big ones!
- Read! Such a big one. Read daily. Read often and read everything you find. You want to be known for something? Read about it! Pro tip: you can have google send you alerts for keywords so when a new article pops up related to your area of expertise, you can be the first to read and learn about it! Looking for a suggestion? Check out my Bookshelf for my favorites!
- Break a habit! If you have a bad habit (I’m looking at you nail-biting), break it! Not sure which to start with? Check out this list of bad habits holding you back from your full potential! It can be time-consuming and tedious, but if its something you feel strongly about, its time to rid the stress from your life!
This list could seriously go on for days, but here are 17 ideas to get you started to build confidence. So stop procrastinating, and try implementing them into your daily life and start seeing improvements faster than you think! Drop a comment if you have more to add to this list!
[RELATED: 8 Steps to Understanding Behaviors and Changing Bad Habits + Free Worksheet!]
What a great and helpful list. Pinning!
Amazing tips. I definitely need to prioritize who I need to spend my time with. I find myself too often catering to people who just add stress to my life. I also want to smile more =) Thanks for the great ideas!
These are great, and useful to all of us.
This list is so helpful! Thank you! All of this applies for me but the last one stood out the most. Since becoming a mom, I developed the bad habit of not exercising enough and sometimes made excuses for not doing small stuff to improve my health. I want to change that this year! This post is a good motivation to start!
LOVE. IT. ALL. Accepting a compliment really struck me because oftentimes I will just brush them aside but thanks for the reminder.
Girl, I totally dig your blog! I love these tips and I love positive affirmations! Signing up for your mail list now! 😉
I love so many of these tips! I especially love the reminder that it is okay to take a compliment and care a little about your own appearance! Simple but great.
Hi! I will say confidence has been something I have struggled with for a long time. Thank you for this! It is still a struggled so I will take on to these tips!
Great tips! I’m sharing with my daughter today! Thank you!
[…] are common for destroying your confidence. Next, start building it back up! Incorporating these easy 17 confidence building strategies into your daily routine will change your life. Finally, download my 365 Days of Positive […]
These are all great ideas. It can be easy to fall into a slump where we feel insecure, and these are good for making you feel better about yourself.
Vow!!! Lovely points. Thanks for sharing
I enjoyed reading this! These are all really great tips!
Reevaluate who you spend your time with, leave your comfort zone, say yes… YES! So good! I LOVE this! Those are always the hardest for me!
This is wonderful! I think my favorite tip is to read. I love to read and when I do it more often I feel more confident in myself. Thanks!
What a great post on building self confidence! I especially love leaving your comfort zone.
Very encouraging post on confidence! Thanks for sharing!
I love this post! I’ve been trying to incorporate a little of each daily and I have seen a huge difference in how I am now versus 2 months ago. A big one for me is saying yes and stepping out of my comfort zone.
This is a great list and tool to keep track of daily. Thank you for these tips and ideas. Great article!
[…] Syndrome to kick me out of the life I was living. But days came and went and life went on. My confidence was soaring, my general happiness was increasing and I loved the person I was […]
[…] your confidence – confidence breeds more confidence, try some confidence boosting exercises to increase yours to make a more confident […]
You’ve got some great suggestions here, and I love that they are all actionable items that anyone can put into practice. I love that you mentioned knowing your personal limitations, as I feel sometimes we expect so much from ourselves that we end up setting ourselves up for failure.
[…] [RELATED: 17 Ways to Build Your Self Confidence in 5 Minutes a Day!] […]
These are some great suggestions! Thank you! It’s so hard to remember to focus on my own positivity! I really appreciate the reminder!
Awesome post – confidence is key and yet it seems so hard to develop. I bookmarked this page.
These are amazing tips and so important to help build that self confidence. My personal favorite is to say yes, and thats been my motto so far this year. It’s really helped boost my confidence!
[…] TURN WEAKNESS INTO STRENGTHS: Ever been to a job interview where they ask your greatest weakness? Experts always say turn that weakness into a strength and the same is true for yourself! When doing a task you’re not the strongest at, admit it, and turn it on its head. “I’m tend to be stubborn and inflexible, but that makes me great at staying organized and dedicated to my tasks!” Finding a way to admit a weakness but make it a strength is a beautiful way of boosting your confidence! […]
[…] [RELATED: 17 Ways to Build Your Confidence in 5 Minutes a Day] […]
I’m all about the affirmations! And basic, daily makeup, just for me at home 😉
[…] MAKE A TO DO LIST | This seems random I know, but if there is something you need to accomplish, make it into a to do list. Write down every single task you need to accomplish related to it. Break it into as many steps as you can. Then go through the list, making a big celebration out of crossing each one off of it. Between the act of distracting yourself and the act of celebrating milestones, no matter how small, the tiny positive actions will add up resulting in a more positive demeanor! Whenever you get the chance to, productivity is a fantastic boost to your confidence! […]
You wouldn’t even THINK of most of these! I love the looking someone in the eye suggestion. That is SO TRUE. It helps you be more confident and thus, making your day THAT much more amazing.
[…] [RELATED: 17 Ways to Build your Self-Confidence in 5 Minutes a Day!] […]
What an inspirational article for loving yourself! Thanks for sharing on Homestead Blog Hop!
[…] [RELATED: 17 Ways to Build Self Confidence in 5 Minutes a Day!] […]
Great suggestions! I love the idea of actually writing down your strengths. As a visual person, I need to see my ideas over and over to help it sink in.
Nice and encouraging post xx
I love this post! It was definitely a post I needed to read! I’m working on my confidence and I think I need to take a leap of faith.
That’s wonderful! I’m so glad it was helpful for you! Goodluck on your journey! <3
I love that u keep reiterating not to do dangerous and illegal things to gain self confidence.
What if robbing a bank gives me all the confidence?!?
Lol, I’m kidding. I think the hardest thing is figuring out how to balance confidence with humility when ever u do master the confidence bit. Good post.
Hahaha! Well if you do decide to rob a bank, make sure you leave my name out of it!! 😀 I’m actually working on a book right now for balancing confidence and humility, it’s not only such an important thing to master as you mentioned, it’s actually a beautiful journey as well! Thanks so much for the (fun) comment! <3
This blog was very inspirational and number 10 reminded me not to be so hard on myself and thinking negatively. The more positive talk and self care I give myself the more my confidence will grow. Thank you!
Great post, Ariana. I agree that self-confidence is something that requires a bit of follow through and tackling it daily in small chunks is manageable. I like your checklist and am pinning it to my Pinterest Quotes board!
Thanks so much, glad you found it helpful! Thank you for sharing! <3
Wow I love this. Fabulous, simpleal and easy to use techniques
I love this. Such simple things but how easily we forget to do them. I’m going to make a list of my strengths today!
[…] talked about confidence and habits a few times now, but its important to understand how they correlate to each other, and […]
[…] [RELATED: 17 Ways to Build Your Self-Confidence in 5 Minutes a Day!] […]
Love! I hsve the hardest time with looking people in the eyes when talking with them. But when they’re talking I hsve no problem. I’ve been trying to work on it for such a long time! Wish I could fix it. Awesome stuff here!
[…] [RELATED: 17 Ways to Build Your Confidence in 5 Minutes a Day!] […]
These are great tips! Self-confidence is a difficult thing to build if you have been beaten down throughout your life. Great post, glad I found you on the blog hop!
Hello Ariana, This is a super encouraging and truly helpful post with great advice on how to reset and restart your life in a new direction. Thank you!